Re: Crashing APSECT3000?

From: Clemens Anklin (Clemens.Anklin@NMR.BRUKER.COM)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 13:22:55 PDT

Dear Paul,

there is definitely the age of these computers that could cause a problem.
The other "easy to fix" causes could be:

- Dust, did you regularly clean the dustfilter behind the frontpanel of the
Aspect 3000?
        or have massive amounts of dust accumulated around all the components.
        Make sure the airflow through the computer is unobstructed.

- Bad contacts, one of the "magical" procedures with Aspect 3000 boards is to
pull them out of the computer and lay them flat on a surface with the chips
on top. It is advisable, if available to
        put an antistatic or conducting material underneath it. The you push down all
the socketed IC's
        down. Put your two thumbs on the chip and press firmly. If it is all the way
down nothing should
        happen, if it is not you will hear a slight noise when it goes in. Then make
sure all dust caught
        between the legs of all components is removed.

- Power supply problems, your power supply could intermittently drop out.

I hope it's one of the above, that can easily be fixed.

Regards

Clemens Anklin

--
Clemens Anklin, Ph.D.           Director of NMR Applications
Bruker Instruments Inc.         Phone:(978)667-9580 ext.144