Re: Crashing APSECT3000?

From: Paul Shin (alchemy@tiger.cc.oxy.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 11:17:49 PDT

Thanks to all who responded!

The overwhelming response was to clean the air filters and check for
cooling fan failure. This is something I should have known to do-even
in my relatively short tenure here. Other responses tended toward
more catastrophic problem solutions which fortunately doesn't seem to
be the case here.

Having cleaned the fans and finding a dead fan, the solution seems
clear enough. The ASPECT 300 computer has not crashed yet (fingers
crossed, knock on wood, etc, ...). The old age issue here is
definitely present. :-{(

BTW- does anyone know of where I could get an inexpensive (free is
good) monitor for the old AC console? Ours is now showing old age
issues as well and fades in & out occasionally. We will eventually
need replacement, but, unfortunately, are not in a position to afford
an upgrade- yet.

Thanks again,
Paul

Paul Shin, Ph.D.
Instrumentation Facilities Manager
Department of Chemistry
Occidental College
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
(323) 259-1416 Office
(323) 341-4912 FAX

        Imagination is more important than knowledge
                                           -Einstein