Re: SGI-CPU/4 no communication

From: rmair@cfa.harvard.edu
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 08:20:31 PDT

Just a quick thank-you to all who responded to my problem below.

The system is now up and running, and fortunately I am now out of the lab
for the next two weeks for a conference trip - so its the student's problem
if the SGI-spect link goes down again.

Some of your suggestions came in handy, but what made it work was
cable-swapping. We didn't have a *bad* cable - they had all been tested
between other computers and hubs on the local lab network, as had the hubs
and transceivers themselves. However, periodically when I changed cables
between the CPU/4 and SGI, the CPU/4 would boot.

The first time this happened, not being a fan of black magic, I disconnected
the cable and then reconnected it again - the CPU/4 would now not boot. So,
after a few more hours of this aggravation, the next time it worked, I slammed
the covers shut on the console and ran with it. Hardly an acceptable
solution, but its working for now. Now I just have to worry what happens in
a few weeks when the console has to move again (within the lab) to its final
resting place after renovations are complete!

Thanks

Ross

--
Ross Mair
Staff Scientist                             Office Phone:     (617) 495 7218