SGI-CPU/4 no communication

From: Jane Strouse (strousej@chem.ucla.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 07:32:10 PDT

        Some time back I replaced an AspectStation with an O2 on an ARX. I found
to my utter amazement that although I initially thought that it did not
work, its only problem is that it takes 11 minutes for spect to boot up.
The 11 minutes is absolutely reproducible. I have tried everything I and a
number of people who helped with this problem could think of; all to no
avail. But since it works perfectly well once it is booted up, I gave up.
Fortunately the software is more robust than previous versions so I don't
have to boot very often. I have used it this way for over 2 years.

Jane

>Subject: SGI-CPU/4 no communication
>To: bruker-users-mail@bloch.cchem.berkeley.edu (Bruker Users Mail)
>Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:48:29 -0400 (EDT)
>Cc: mkutney@mit.edu (Mike Kutney), dcory@mit.edu (David Cory)
>From: rmair@cfa.harvard.edu
>
>Greetings once again folks from this happy place.
>
>Update - fully working AMX2 console moved from 400MHz spectroscopy magnet to
>4.7T horizontal magnet = computer disaster.
>
>We ditched the AspectStation - which may have been a mistake as it would at
>least talk to spect, and run rf-pulse-only expts. We now have an SGI O2 as
>host computer. It has been freshly installed with IRIX 6.5 and XWIN-NMR2.6,
>which the folks at Bruker assured me were compatible with the older AMX
>hardware.
>
>After an entire day trying this, we still cannot make a *permanent*
connection
>to spect. It has been possible twice, for 5 mins each - once thru each of
>the two ethernet ports on the SGI. (See below). So, this needs to be borne
>in mind when I say we can almost never connect to spect.
>
>Or, more to the point, spect cannot make a connection to the 2nd ethernet
>port of the SGI, therefore cannot boot up its diskless unix, therefore we
>can't telnet/ping it.
>
>I have swapped the IP nos on the two ethernet ports ad infinitum. Which ever
>port is labelled 'primary' and is assigned the local lab IP no, works fine.
>I can always telnet elsewhere on the local net. But the spect connection
>fails. I have plugged the local-lab-net cable into the ASP_ST2, and been
>able to telnet succesfully from elsewhere in the lab, but am asked for a
>login, and it wont accept any of the installed login/password on the system.
>This makes me wonder if spect tries to log in the ASP_ST2, and is locked
>out.
>
>The cables between SGI and spect have been swapped out, placed between the
>SGI and other computers, and seen to work. Likewise, the hubs and
>transceivers have been swapped over.
>
>I've been thru section 7 of the installation guide (what to do when telnet
>spect doesn't work) a couple of times, to no success. the serial cable is
>connected from tty0 of the CPU/4 and tty2 of the SGI.... it constantly gives
>me this output:
>
>Autoboot: Waiting to load bfs()/usr/diskless/clients/spect/root/unix (CTRL-C
>to abort)
>No server for /usr/diskless/clients/spect/root/unix
>
>EXCEPTION: <vector=NORMAL>
>Exception pc: 0x0
>Cause register: 0x30004828<CE=3,IP7,IP4,EXC=II>
>Status register: 0x80000<CM,IPL=8>
>
>BRUKER Aspect X32/4 Monitor
>Version 5.40 MIPS OPT Tue Nov 24 11:26:17 MSZ 1992 root
>Memory size: 16777216 (0x1000000) bytes, 16 MB
>Icache size: 65536 (0x10000) bytes
>Dcache size: 65536 (0x10000) bytes
>>>

>At this stage, it is tempting to get the AspectStation out again!!
>Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

> [...]
Dr. Jane Strouse
Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry
UCLA
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1569