Re: imaging in xwinnmr

From: rmair@cfa.harvard.edu
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 09:16:32 PDT

Saad,

There are a small but devoted group of us who continue to do imaging in
xwinnmr. At least through xwinnmr 2.6, this was also fully supported by
Bruker - although it was not easy to find!

If you look in the directory /u/exp/stan/nmr/lists/pp.imag or
                             /u/exp/stan/nmr/lists/pp.dimag

depending on whether you are using a A?X or D?X instrument, you'll find a
whole host of Bruker-supplied imaging sequences.

(In case I got that pathway wrong from memory, the pp.imag directory is in
the same place as the standard pp directory that contains all installed
sequences)

Of course, sequences only work from .../pp, so the imaging sequences must be
copied to this place before you can run them.

There is also, for every sequence, an au program that will prompt for all
basic imaging set-up parameters (FOV, SWH, n phase encodes, etc) and
calculate all others (gradients, etc) accordingly. However, the source code
for these is an obscure place (/u/prog/bin or something similiar) - I'd have
to check on an instrument to be sure.

Un/fortunately, I'm yet to lay hands on a system running xwinnmr 3.?, so
can't comment on how its done on such an instrument. Even Dieter Gross, from
the Apps Lab in Germany who wrote all these sequences for xwinnmr 2.6 and
below, now actively encourages me to use Paravision for imaging on systems
with xwinnmr 3.0 and above. Although I'm sure it can be done in XWINNMR,
provided you know the new sequence syntax.

Also, if using an AVANCE machine and processing off-line, watch for the
effects of the digital filters at the start of each echo.

Let me know if you need more help tracking down those path names.

Cheers,

Ross

--
Ross Mair
Staff Scientist                             Office Phone:     (617) 495 7218