Linux operating spectrometer

From: Wei Wycoff (wycoffw@missouri.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 08:40:09 PDT

Hello all,

I have not seen any discussion on how Linux works on operating a spectrometer since Bruker's release of NMRSuite 3.1 for Red Hat Linux 7.1 (Jan 2002 news letter).  According to the news letter, Bruker recommends using RED HAT 7.1 and the HP X2000 PC. This software/hardware combination was successfully tested with the NMR-SUITE 3.1 and is fully supported.  Any other Linux systems and PC hardware components will probably also work, but are not tested and supported by Bruker.  Just wondering if any of you have experienced using any Linux with an Avance spectrometer.

We intend to replace our Indy on an Avance spectrometer running XWINSuite 3.0 with a PC running either Win2000 or Linux (XWINSuite 3.1).  since our recent SGI/O2 to PC/Win2000 upgrade on our DRX300 still left us unsolved problems such as 2D refreshing display, we are thinking of Linux as our next try.  This will make life more challenging since we have already got Sun, SGI/O2, and PC/Win2000 on three other spectrometers!

Also, Bruker strongly recommend getting a service visit to have a Bruker qualified engineer perform the upgrade.   What do you all think about this?

Any of your comments would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Wei

<:> <:> <:> <:> <:> <:> <:> <:> <:> <:> <:>

Wei Wycoff (Ph. D.)
125 Chemistry Building
601 S. College Ave.
Department of Chemistry