Re: XWin-Plot versus "plot"

From: Duncan Howe (djh35@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 17:32:23 PST

Dear all,

The reason I like the 'plot' routine within Xwin-nmr is that once the
standard plot parameters are defined within edg, I can use the command line
to change almost anything I have to get the output I need. In the meeting
people commented that the whole 'edg' plot layout method was obscure; with
many entries hidden away in sub-menus; maybe so, but after doing thousands
of plots per year by hand I've learnt a lot of short cuts. If I want a
non-standard plot, typing the edg parameters at the xwinnmr command line is
a lot faster than using the mouse. Also for proton plots I make heavy use
of the 'plotx' command to provide automatic expansions of the integrals (can
be useful for complicated carbon spectra too!)
I do quite like Xwin-plot, although I've only used up to the 2.x versions; I
certainly found it intuitive, faster to try and work it out rather than use
the manual. I just question wether I can control it easily and quickly
enough, so as to get similar output in the same or less time that I'm used
to.

Duncan Howe

NMR Technician
Department Of Chemistry