"plot"

From: Grahame Harden (gharden@TRIPOS.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 09:13:46 PST

Contained in Alan's epistle, the words:

...I think the basic premise of the program's operation is wrong.
According to
Mike Engelhardt, it's meant to be like other graphics programs. When
pressed, he said he'd modelled its operations on PowerPoint, and no,
he'd
never used Photoshop. However, as others have already mentioned, NMR
spectra are usually _working_ documents. An NMR spectrum produced in a
service environment for use by chemists in the lab is _not_ a graphics
exercise - it is a piece of CAD work. People take measurements from them

using a ruler, hold them up to the light to overlay them and compare
things, transfer information from one spectrum to another. I teach this
kind of stuff, and I do it myself. Precision and consistency in plotting

are required to do this. The edg/plot system fulfils this to a much
greater
extent than XWin-plot does.......

 Which, for my 2 cents, sums it up for me in the environment I have
here.

                    Grahame

Tripos Receptor Research, Bude, Cornwall.