summary - Fan for BLAX300

From: Frank Holger Foersterling (holger@uwm.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 18:28:19 PST

Thank you very much for the numerous responses.
It turned out turned out Bruker sells those fans individually.
I decided on that route as none NMC fan distributors had it in stock,
and new orders involved times of 18 week and 80 pieces minimum.

Many people contacting me went the same route. One important issue
is that the BLAX fans have a build in sensor to the BLAX electronics
limiting the generic fans to be used (but check the hack described
below).
Thanks again
Holger

-----------------
I tried last year with lots of third party DC fans, but none of them
works so far.
I did order the fan from Bruker as they do sell individual fan for
the BLAX. Attachment is my order last year. Cost $25 each, they do
make a good profit .
Hope this help,

Simply order a fan with the same voltage, amperage, and approximate
fan speed. (Actually, order a bunch- you will be replacing these a
lot.) You do not need a sensor. As long as one of the fans in the
assembly has a sensor, you can wire the other sensor wires to that
and fool the interlock. Of course, if the new fan should die, you
won't have the safety of the interlock. Dimensions are important-
there is not much wriggle room inside the assembly.

---------------------------------------

I am sorry but I am unable to locate the fan you desire. The newer
version 3110KL05WB59XXX also is not available except on a new order
and as I mentioned I have a minimum quantity requirement of 80 pieces
and an 18 week lead time. My suggestion is that you try the
manufacturer of the item containing the fan for a replacement.

----------------------------

We went over this about a year ago. One more thing you have to
watch. The individual fans have a third wire. a rotor lock signal
that
goes to the control circuit to shut the BLAX down if the rotor stops.
Those fans are special order, check all the letters in the part
number.
One can rig a regular fan, but it is tricky.
We decided to bite the bullet and order extra assemblies. If needed
we can switch individual fans.
--------------------

Have you tried Jameco in Belmont, CA PH 800-831-4242?
Look at your fan's specifications current in mA and air flow in cfm,
as well as voltage. Also, I believe if you have the NMB model #, then
they will tell you what fan is equivalent.
I've found this company's tech support to be very helpful, but I do
believe you'll want to know the model # of the NMB fan to be
replaced.
                                     )|(
                                    (o o)
---------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------------
-
Frank Holger Foersterling, Ph. D.
Director of NMR laboratories
http://hal.chem.uwm.edu/nmr/
(holger@uwm.edu)
Office: Home:

Department of Chemistry 4420 N. Wilson Dr. #2
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Shorewood, WI 53211
3210 N. Cramer Street B-10
Milwaukee, WI 53211
Phone:(414)-229-5896 (414)-962-6334
Fax:(414)-229-5530