XWin-NMR halt command from an UPS system?

From: Bob Berno (bberno@dal.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 05:25:16 PST

Hello everyone,

We are running our Avance 500 spectrometer off of a UPS system. This
has proven to be invaluable in dealing with spikes, power fluctuations
and very brief (few second) power outages... the spectrometer continued
to run normally.
During longer power outages, I have the UPS setup to issue the
"pwrdwn.bat" command after ten minutes of no power from the line. This
shuts down the console before the UPS runs out of juice. However, if
the power failure happens in the middle of the night and the
spectrometer was in the middle of a long acquisition, then all data is
lost.

I was wondering if anyone has worked out a way to have a UPS issue a
HALT command within XWin-NMR?

Here are the specifics of our setup:
AVANCE 500 Spectrometer
XWin-NMR 3.5, Patch Level #6
Windows 2000 Pro
POWERWARE 9 Prestige Series 6000 VA UPS system
LanSafe III Power Monitor software

I don't think this makes a difference, but we are typically running the
spectrometer in automation using ICON-NMR and a CASE 24 autosampler.

Thanks for your time,
Bob.

--
Dr. Bob Berno