answers to AVANCE malfunctions

From: Stefano Antoniutti (anto@unive.it)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 09:15:28 PST

Dear BUMmers,

I received many answers to my help request about AVANCE. Thanks to everyone !

I only want to point out to you that I have nothing to complain about ther
Bruker Italia servicing, I hope this was clear in the original mail to BUM,
if not I can only regret and openly apologize : they are great people
(the best service in instrumentation I have).

 I only wanted to hear the experiences of other people to receive to some
suggestion/experience/trick that can help to solve the problem quickly. My
personal feelings are to have been out of luck with the Avance SGU.

Incidentally, a crosschecking showed it was one amplifier, NOT an SGU to
have been repaired in guarantee. Beg your pardon.

Anyway, these are some of the more useful/interesting answers/suggestions
I received :

>Hi Stefano,
>
>We observed a similar opera on an Avance-500 last summer/fall. One of
>the cooling fans from the AQS card cage failed (these fans are right
>above the acquisition computer cards, including the SGUs), and we had
>intermittant problems of the sort you describe until we replaced the
>fans and at least one of the SGUs. At the time our service group (in
>Billerica, MA) said that the fans fail pretty often.
>
>We were able to keep running for a while by opening the front and back
>of the console and blowing air from a fan into the top of the console.
>
>I hope this helps,
>Walt

>I'm sure you've probably checked this, but are all of your cooling fans
>running? I ran into a problem very similar some time ago and it turned
>out that a couple of the fans were running but far below the speed they
>needed to be running in order to cool the system enough. The fact that
>you've got to turn your system off and let it sit for a while tells me
>this may be a culprit. An easy check is to turn off the system(or open
>the panel and unplug the fans) and see if they all seem to stop at the
>same time. If one or more of them seem to stop much quicker than the
>others, then you will probably want to replace them...even if it doesn't
>turn out to be the answer for your current problem.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Bill

We checked the fans few weeks ago and were working OK. Anyway, I will
recheck them.

The following is very interesting (I didn't know it was possible to do
these things) :

>The last statement suggests a heating problem. Have the air filters in the
>AQS rack
>ever be cleaned? Also check if all air fans are still running smoothly.
>Has the room
>an air condition and is this running properly
>
>There is a service tool which can be used to check the temperatures. It's
>called
>UnitTool and can be started as follows
>- Windows: Click on "Bruker Utilities" on the desktop, then on "service
>tools",
> then on "UniTool". A window opens.
>- Linux: open a shell and run
> /opt/xwinnmr/prog/bin/scripts/UniTool
>
>UniTool asks:
> Enter device name ['?' for details] (aqs) > just hit the enter key
>UniTool asks:
> Enter decimal SBSB address for board in AQS rack (36) > Enter 36 for
>SGU1 (or 37 for SGU2, and so on)
>Now a menu appears: select A
>A new menu appears: select 5 for the board temperature.
> The temperature is printed; it should not be much higher than 40 degree
>Celcsius.
>The same menu appears: select 6 for the DDS temperature.
> The temperature is printed; it should be around 56 degree Celcsius.
>The same menu appears: select Q for quit
>A menu appears: select X for exit
>
>You can check the temperatures for all installed SGUs. If the temperatures
>are not within the
>stated range, please check the cooling of the spectrometer.
>
>best regards
>Andreas

This was made in the same time I was writing the mail, with the
supervision of a Bruker Service engineer, the results were comfortably low
temperatures, so the attention moved to the power supply. The time the
spare parts will arrive, within a couple of days I should have the
definitive answer, I will post the result in the interest of all we BUMmers.

Thanks you all !

Stefano Antoniutti

dr. Stefano Antoniutti Voice : +39 041 / 2348555
Dipartimento di Chimica Fax : +39 041 / 2348917
Universita' Ca'Foscari
       di Venezia
Dorsoduro 2137
I-30123 VENEZIA e-mail: anto@unive.it