Re: Xcdroast

From: Bill Gurley (bgurley@utk.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 18:28:46 PDT

Chatson, Brock (by way of BUM ) wrote:
> On my PC-Linux system I am running RH Linux 7.3 and have backed up my data
> on DVD's using Xcdroast. I then copied a file back to my hard drive and
> tried to make some changes but got a reply of "no permission". I noticed
> that when Xcdroast wrote the files to the DVD the "w" permission is removed
> from the files, so only "r" is left. This also occurs when writing to CD's.
> Has anyone else come across this problem and found a possible solution? I
> have left Fixate on and off, no difference.

This is a common problem when writing to CD's or DVD's on any operating
system, not just linux. Because of the write-once nature of the media,
the files take on the read-only attribute. When you copy files back,
you just have to add the write attribute back with the chmod command.

I don't know if you want ALL of them writable, but this command would
add the write attribute to a whole tree:

chmod -R a+w *

> Also I would like to back up my Linux - hard drive (about 40 megs) but have
> not found a solution, software or hardware for Linux systems. Does anyone
> have a method for this?

If you're mainly talking about a disaster recovery solution, I have the
answer. It's a wonderful project called Mondo Rescue:

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

We have just gotten our PC to switch from the SGI to the linux platform,
and the first thing I did was back up Bruker's installation before I
start tinkering with it. Mondo will backup your entire system onto ISO
cd images. Put in a blank hard drive, boot the first CD, and it will
restore the entire system. I intend to make new images every few
months. Sometime next week I'll send more detailed instructions to the
list.

Of course doing routine backup of files is a different matter.

-Bill-

  Bill Gurley, Technical Director |
  Department of Chemistry | Consider Linux and
  Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville | Open Source Software!