Re: Xcdroast

From: J Chris Johnston (James.C.Johnston-1@nasa.gov)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 07:20:19 PDT

Who shows up as the owner of these files when you copy them back to the
hard disk? If it is you, or someone that you have the password for,
including root (assuming that you have root access) then why not just do a
chmod on the files that you want to change once you've copied them to the
hard disk? If you own the file just do a chmod 644 to give the owner read
and write access and read only access to group and world. You can do it
with r and w arguments, but I use the numeric codes myself and I would have
to look up the others (try man chmod).
  The numeric codes are a 3 digit octal number: where each digit is made by
combining read = 4, write = 2 and execute = 1. To get read/right
permissions but not execute the digit is 6 (4 + 2) read-only is 4, read and
execute is 5 (4 + 1) and read/write/execute is 7 (4 + 2 + 1)

The three digits stand for owner, group, and world permissions.

If your linux hard drive is 40 Mb it will fit on a DVD and can be copied
using xcdroast. If it is 40 GB you'll either need another hard drive or a
good-size tape drive. You can use something simple like tar to copy the
files over or Arkeia for a more complete solution.
To fit 40 Gb on a tape you'll need something like an AIT-2

At 05:07 PM 4/23/2004 -0700, you wrote:

>On my PC-Linux system I am running RH Linux 7.3 and have backed up my data
>on DVD's using Xcdroast. I then copied a file back to my hard drive and
>tried to make some changes but got a reply of "no permission". I noticed
>that when Xcdroast wrote the files to the DVD the "w" permission is removed
>from the files, so only "r" is left. This also occurs when writing to CD's.
>Has anyone else come across this problem and found a possible solution? I
>have left Fixate on and off, no difference.
>
>Also I would like to back up my Linux - hard drive (about 40 megs) but have
>not found a solution, software or hardware for Linux systems. Does anyone
>have a method for this?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Brock Chatson
>NMR Facility Manager
>Telephone: (306) 975-5238 | Fax: (306) 975-4839
>Brock.Chatson@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca | www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
>National Research Council Canada | Plant Biotechnology Institute
>110 Gymnasium Place,
>Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W9
>Government of Canada
>
> <<...OLE_Obj...>>
>
>--
>
>On my PC-Linux system I am running RH Linux 7.3 and have backed up my
>data on DVD's using Xcdroast. I then copied a file back to my hard drive
>and tried to make some changes but got a reply of "no permission". I
>noticed that when Xcdroast wrote the files to the DVD the "w" permission
>is removed from the files, so only "r" is left. This also occurs when
>writing to CD's. Has anyone else come across this problem and found a
>possible solution? I have left Fixate on and off, no difference.
>
>Also I would like to back up my Linux - hard drive (about 40 megs) but
>have not found a solution, software or hardware for Linux systems. Does
>anyone have a method for this?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Brock Chatson
>NMR Facility Manager
>Telephone: (306) 975-5238 | Fax: (306) 975-4839
>Brock.Chatson@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca | www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
>National Research Council Canada | Plant Biotechnology Institute
>110 Gymnasium Place,
>Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W9
>Government of Canada
>
><<...OLE_Obj...>>

J. Chris Johnston
Polymers Branch, Materials Division (216)433-5029
NASA John H. Glenn Research Center (216)977-7132(fax)
21000 Brookpark Rd MS 49-3 James.C.Johnston-1@nasa.gov
Cleveland, Ohio 44135

NOTICE: Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on
my part.