In search of solid-state NMR spectrometer components for an in-house build.

From: NMR (Nmr@newcastle.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 18:18:15 PDT

Dear All,

I am new to the group. I have recently been appointed to the position of
NMR Centre Manager at the School of Natural Sciences within the University
of Newcastle upon Tyne in the United Kingdom.

I currently manage four solution-state spectrometers that form our
solution-state service. These consist of a Bruker Avance 300, a Jeol
LA-500, a Bruker AC200F (run by an Aspect 3000) and a Bruker WM300 (also
run by an Aspect 3000). The AC200F and the WM300 are currently being
restored to full working order in-house (these two projects are almost
complete). We furthermore are in the process of restoring an inherited
Jeol EX-270 solution-state spectrometer to full working order.

I write to the group on account of my desire to apply the wide bore
magnet on our Bruker WM300 for use as a solid-state spectrometer. I wish
to enquire whether there are any individuals within the group who may be
seeking to decommission a solid-state spectrometer tuned for the 300 MHz
range, or are in possession of disused but functional components from a
solid-state NMR spectrometer tuned fo the 300 MHz range. If the answer to
either of these questions is yes, then my next enquiry is whether any such
members would be prepared to part with these components for a minimal
cost (or for free). If it is within the UK, then we would be quite
prepared to turn up with a suitable van and ship any available components
ourselves. If it is outside the UK, then we would have to explore any
international shipping fees in getting the parts to Newcastle (UK).

As the intention of setting up a solid-state spectrometer in our School is
to push prime new research studies, I am not yet in a position to muster
sufficient support to put in for a grant to fund the purchase of a brand
new unit.

I shall be undertaking the construction of this solid-state spectrometer
myself. I would be grateful for any assistance and advice the group may be
able to provide in this endeavour.

Yours sincerely,

Phuong Ghi.

---
Dr. P.Y. Ghi
The NMR Laboratory
University of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
School of Natural Sciences
Bedson Building (Chemistry)
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
NE1 7RU
United Kingdom

Tel: +44-(0)191-222-6851 (The NMR Laboratory) Tel: +44-(0)191-222-7102 (Faculty Office for Chemistry) Fax: +44-(0)191-222-6292

E-mail: nmr@ncl.ac.uk