Re: Xcdroast

From: Andreas Huennebeck (ah@bruker.de)
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 11:58:58 PDT

Dear Mr. Chatson,

You wrote in the Bruker Users Mail:

> On my PC-Linux system I am running RH Linux 7.3 and have backed up my
data
> on DVD's using Xcdroast. I then copied a file back to my hard drive and
> tried to make some changes but got a reply of "no permission". I noticed
> that when Xcdroast wrote the files to the DVD the "w" permission is
removed
> from the files, so only "r" is left. This also occurs when writing to
CD's.

This is standard behaviour, as data on a CDR or DVD can only be read, not
written.

> Has anyone else come across this problem and found a possible solution? I
> have left Fixate on and off, no difference.

Run 'chmod u+w <file>' to make the file writeable. If you copy whole
directories
you can call 'chmod -R u+w <directory>' to make the directory and all files
and
subdirectrories within it writable.

> Also I would like to back up my Linux - hard drive (about 40 megs) but
have
> not found a solution, software or hardware for Linux systems. Does anyone
> have a method for this?

We must difference between backup (short time storage) and archive (long
time
storage). For archiving CDR or DVD are the best solutions.

For backup of big data sizes I (privately) use an external firewire disk,
that is a
 3 1/2" IDE Disk (an old Western Digital WD450AA, 46 GB) in an external
firewire/usb2
housing (50-60 US$). To connect it to the PC this must have a firewire port.
My
HP X1100 did not have one, so I bought a cheap Card (23 US$) with 4 ports.
This card must be compatible to Linux - please look into the Hardware
Compatibility List
under the URL <http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/hcl.php>. It might be
necessary to do
a kernel update (I did one earlier, so I don't know whether firewire works
with the
original RH7.3 kernel).

My card is the DeLock 89006:
http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/view_device.php?id=425
My external housing is the HD-337-FW/U2:
http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/view_device.php?id=426

You just plug in the firewire cable and power the external housing. After
some time you can
mount the external disk.

[ To do so you must know which device is used by the box. Before powering
the external
  disk become su, run 'tail -f /var/log/messages' and look for the kernel
message which
  specifies the port. If this is for example /dev/sdb1, add the line

  /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backupdisk auto rw,noauto,user 0 0

  into "/etc/fstab" and create the directory "/mnt/backupdisk".
  This action is necessary only once! ]

Now you can mount the disk (as normal user) with 'mount /mnt/backupdisk'.
After storing the data unmount the disk with 'umount /mnt/backupdisk', then
you can unpower and unplug the external disk.

best regards
Andreas

--

   ...     ...    Andreas C. M. Huennebeck