Parameter file update - summary

From: Frank Holger Foersterling (holger@uwm.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 13:48:48 PDT

Thank you very much for the many responses regarding updating
parameter files after changing the base frequency of the
spectrometer.

It looks like my approach of copying all parameter files from the
/u/exp/stan/nmr/par into /u/exp/stan/nmr/par.300 and running the
command expinstall was on the right track, and I am not sure what
made it eventually work or why it was not working initially.

 After following Frank Scuderi's advise of making all files in the
.300 directory read only I was able to convert the files, but when
playing with the write permissions afterwards expinstall did not seem
to have any problems converting no matter what the permissions were.
As the next time I will have to do such a conversion is hopefully
several years in the future I decided to worry about those details
later.

Lance Ballard from Bruker mentioned a ".listOfFiles.300" file
inside the par.300 directory, which I could not find on our
spectrometer, but it might be important with an earlier or later
version of X-WINNMR (we use 2.5).

Also important to note is if you have parameter files containing only
title or processing information expinstall will pop up an error
message and only continue after clicking "seen" on the pop up window,
so you will not be able to run it while off for lunch ...

Also many of you suggested just using a simple sed script to replace
BF1 values, but each file requires also SFO1 to be updated, and that
for nuclei other then H-1, so it would be a more involved programming
job.
Thanks again
Holger Foersterling )|(
                                    (o o)
Frank Holger Foersterling, Ph. D.
Director of NMR laboratories
Department of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
http://hal.chem.uwm.edu/nmr/
(holger@uwm.edu)
Phone:(414)-229-5896
Fax:(414)-229-5530