Re: water elimination in postprocessing

From: Saad Ramadan (saad@imrr.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 17:41:07 PST

Dear all,

I have got enough answers to address the elimination of the water peak in
xwinnmr. Many thanks for all of you!
A list of the answers is below for general use by all "bumers" !

regards
Saad

********************************
Saad,

 From my notes from asking a Bruker Applications person who recently
visited us.......

in EDP

for BC_MOD try "qpol" or "qfil"

with BCFW = 0.25

For the spectra, we quickly tried, "qpol" with BCFW = 0.25 worked the
best for solvent peak removal
at center.

***************************************

Dear Saad,

To suppress the on-resonance signal (e.g. water), you can use the sfil/qfil
command depending on the detection mode (single vs. quadrature detection).
Besides, MestReC (available from www.mestrec.com) provides improved methods
to remove signals that don't have to be exactly on-resonance.
Hope this helps,
Carlos

======================
Dr. Carlos Cobas
MESTRELAB RESEARCH
http:://www.mestrelab.com
Santiago de Compostela
======================

Dear Mr. Ramadan,

My only suggestion in this moment is to try some other program for
processing, for example MestreC (maybe it will be helpful for solving your
problem). In this moment, this software is free to try ( contact link
<http://www.mestrec.com/>http://www.mestrec.com/ ). Maybe you have already
heard for it.

Best regards,

Zoran Miladinovic
Institute of Physical and General Chemistry
Belgrade

Dear Dr Ramadan,

I am a member of the MestReC NMR
Processing & Presentation development
team. Our product has powerful
postprocessing capabilities including solvent
suppression. If you would like to send me
your most difficult data set I will do my best
to improve it for you.

Alternatively if you would like to try our
product, please visit http://mestrec.com.

We wish you all success in 2005.

Sincerely,
Andy Soper
for the MestReC Development Team
Dear Saad

the best way to eliminate water in processing is to use the BC_MOD
function. Set BC_MOD to either qpol or qfil. With qpol a polynominal
function will be applied to the FID to remove residual water, no additional
parameters have to be set. Wit qfil a filter function will be applied as
described by a paper by Bax and Marion in, I think, 1995. This method
requires and additional parameter BCFW to be set. This is the width of the
filter in ppm and will depend on the width of the residual water signal.

If water is not at the carrier posittion, i.e. in the center of the
spectrum an offset for the BC-MOD function can be entered with the paramter
COROFFS. This will be in Hertz away from the center of the spectrum.

Later you can use the various baseline correction methods to fruther
improve the spectra.

Best Regards and Happy New Year

Clemens Anklin
Dear Saad,

I wish you and your family a Happy and Healthy New Year !

For the software water suppression, try the BC_mod options "qpol" or
"qfil". Plesase see the "Processing Reference Manual" for the details
and what other parameters to set. Good luck !

Best wishes, Mike !

Dr Saad Ramadan
Senior Research Fellow
Institute for Magnetic Resonance Research
P O Box 148
St Leonards NSW 1590
Level 3, Block 3, Royal North Shore Hospital
St Leonards NSW 2065
Phone : 612-9926-5975
Mobile: 0414-403-745
Fax: 612-9926-5220