resolution of PDF output from XwinPlot

From: Phil Dennison (dennison@uci.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 13:50:11 PDT

Dear All,

I'm experimenting with IconNMR in XwinNMR 3.5 (on SGI), specifically
the automatic generation and emailing of spectra as PDF files. This
is a nice feature, but I'd like to find a way of increasing the
resolution of the PDF. Although this is a scalable vector format, I'm
finding that there is a limit to how much detail is included in the
file.

My alternative method of generating PDFs is to first save as a
postscript file, and then use PStill for the conversion. The settings
'pstill -ccc -gipt -o' give great results. This has been used
extensively here with output from both XwinNMR and XwinPlot, as we
only recently upgraded to the last version of XwinPlot where direct
PDF generation is an option.

If the postscript is saved directly from XwinNMR then the resultant
PDF is higher resolution than is postscript or PDF saved from
XwinPlot.

It would be nice to improve the PDF output from IconNMR via XwinPlot,
as then a full spectrum PDF can be expanded on-screen to see much
more spectral information than at present.

I'm pretty sure that I played with the XwinNMR postscript code
generator files to reduce line widths, is something similar possible
with the XwinPlot generators? There seem to be some relevant files in
/u/plot/gs/bin but I haven't yet found anything that will make this
change.

Regards,

Phil.

--
Dr Phil Dennison
NMR Facility Director			(949)824-6010 (office)