Dynamic contrast enhanced (DCE) imaging with Bruker Spectrometer

From: David Gordon Bennett (dbennett@WPI.EDU)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 04:29:08 PDT

Hello,
we are using a Bruker Avance Spectrometer (with 2T magnet) for dynamic
contrast enhanced imaging. My question concerns the scaling that
the Bruker console software (Paravision 2.1) applies to each scan. Our
pre-contrast scans must be comparable (quantitatively) to our
post-contrast scans. Also, FYI, Paravision 2.1 does not allow for 32-bit
floating point reconstruction. Therefore, some mapping from 32-bit
floating point raw 'fid' file to reconstructed image '2dseq' file (in
8,16, or 32-bit integer format) must be performed.

I have performed the Bruker-recommended method of reconstructing scans for
quantitative comparison of multiple scans as follows:

1) search for the minimum 'reco_map_slope'
within all scans (after reconstructing using the
RECO: output mapping -> ABSOLUTE_MAPPING method)

2) re-reconstruct
all scans using RECO: output mapping-> USER_SCALE_MAPPING with the minimum
reco_map_slope (from step 1) applied to each scan.

My concern is that this method is still not a 'true'
quantitatitve comparison of one scan to the next, i.e., that some scaling
of the data is still present which may skew my DCE kinetic curves.

If anyone has experience with this I would be happy to
hear from you.

Thank you
-Dave

David Bennett