gradient shimming in automation

From: mhoffman@brockport.edu
Date: Sat May 13 2006 - 09:16:57 PDT

Hi all,

I meant to introduce myself for quite some time. My name is Markus Hoffmann and I am teaching Physical Chemistry at SUNY Brockport a four-year liberal arts college. After three NSF proposal attempts we finally received funding and subsequently purchased an Avance 300 with 24 autosamper, VT and gradient capabilities, which is now installed for about a year.

I thought a nice way of writing a first message is to provide some info that might be useful for others too:

For Analytical Chemistry (~40-50) students we were in the process of implementing a new experiment to analyze the amount of 2-propanol and ethyl acetate in comercial nailpolish remover ("Pretty Nails") using the standard addition method. Since there would be a fair amount of sample preparation involving aqueous solutions, we we thought it to be desirable were to run not use deuterated solvents and run the samples through automation using gradient shimming, which is fine as long as solute concentration is less than at least 20 volume%.
However, automation would hang up and eventually I noticed that in automation gradient shimming would attempt to turn on the lock even though settings for the automation run were set to "lock off". I asked how to solve this problem just about any of the Bruker personnel who I met during the user training sessions. Finally, during the second week of training I received the correct hint. The lock really stays off in automation only when the experiment setting (Proton) and the gradshim1D1h file have the lock setting set to "lock off".
Thus, one needs to make the changes in these two files, save the proton experiment as another name, load that one into Icon NMR and make it accessible to the user who would like to use this experiment. We got very nice spectra with gradient shimming in automation!

Finally, a question, does anyone no what the status is on the "water" water suppression experiment in automation. Is there a fix out there by now?

Markus