1.) automation Water samples 2.) f inhomogeneity?

From: mhoffman@brockport.edu
Date: Mon Jun 05 2006 - 14:34:08 PDT

1.) As feedback from my previous question about “WATER” in automation please read appended e-mail response containing description for a simple fix.

2.) Can anyone help me with the following? I desire to measure T1 of solutes in water (not D2O). Our spectrometer is an Avance 300, Microbay, and our probe is a broadband probe.

In an attempted to suppress the overwhelming water signal I incorporated selective pulses into the inversion recovery sequence (soft -180 pulse on water before hard +180; and soft -90 before +90).
This approach seems to work fine for samples in D2O with residual water but for H2O samples I seem to run into additional problems I suspect to be due to rf pulse inhomogeneity. This suspicion is because upon inspection of the spectrum from a single hard 270 degree pulse applied on a H2O sample I noticed that the resonance is distorted. Instead of an inverted Gaussian signal the shape of the resonance looks more like a w (double u).

Since this distortion only shows for strong signals, my first thought was that I am perhaps dealing with effects of radiation damping, the B-field created by the sample itself in response to the rf pulse. On the other hand I don’t understand how rf-field homogeneity and radiation damping would be connected.

Any helpful comments that explain what I am observing, and any helpful comments how I might deal with the problem would be greatly appreciated.

        Hi Markus,
the fix is easy, follow the steps below

rpar WATER all
click on the Procpar tab