Re: running xwinnmr remotely from Linux and VNC

From: Norm Finlay (finlay@brandonu.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 15:12:58 PDT

Tunnel vnc through the ssh port:
server = spectrometer machine, client = PC you want to use to display xwinnmr

On the server side start the vncserver as usual: vncserver
and this will start :1 session
On the client side use port forwarding to connect via port 22:
ssh -C server -L 59001:server:5901 -f vncviewer server:1

Now to secure the server againest 5801 and 5901 being open, and only
allow ssh connections using tcpwrappers. In /etc/hosts.allow add a
line like:
   sshd: client's ip address
In /etc/hosts.deny add:
  ALL: ALL
Changes to hosts.allow and hosts.deny do not require a reboot or
restarting of any services.

You can use netstat -t on the server to examine the connection
details. I believe this is a reaonable amout of security. Anyone who
sees a gaping hole in this strategy, please reply to the list. I am
far from an expert in security. Many thanks.

Norm Finlay
Brandon University