SUMMARY: choice of water for water cooled helium compressor

From: Phil Dennison (dennison@uci.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2008 - 16:28:20 PST

I received several varied responses to this question, thank you all.

Only one person uses de-ionized water without problems. Some use
treated tap water and some use commercial purified drinking water.
Some people use filters for extra safety and some use flow meters to
monitor the system. One person uses dirty chilled water directly
through the helium compressor and regularly cleans the system when
the flow rate drops.

I decided to use commercial purified water - I bought some 2.5 gallon
containers of Nestle water, as that was the brand in the biggest
containers in the local supermarket.

While the system was out of use I covered all the transparent tubing
with insulation, so I have not added any anti-algae compound.

My Neslab System I heat exchanger appears to run a bit too close to
its limits, so I plan to upgrade this to a System II. At that time I
will also add flow meters and a filter so that I can monitor the
system more effectively.

Thanks again,

Phil.

--
Dr Phil Dennison
NMR Facility Director			(949)824-6010 (office)