B-ACS Alignment Advice

From: Mike Lumsden (mike.lumsden@dal.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 12:26:44 PST

Dear Bruker Users:

We have a B-ACS 60 installed on an AV-500 here. Our 500 magnet is an SAG
magnet and so the main column in our BACS setup has it's base attached to
the magnet flange (instead of down near the floor as I've seen in some
installations). Recently, our system lost it's alignment, as we discovered
the depth of some samples was getting adjusted by the robot upon the return
trip from the magnet to the carousel due to too much contact with the B-ACS
sample holder. After countless hours and a tremendous amount of help from
Bruker BioSpin Canada, our system is back up and running.

However, throughout this "realignment" process, a couple of things bothered
me. The first is what seems like a significant amount of "trial and error"
to gets things aligned. I am willing to bet some of you reading this have a
very systematic approach to getting things aligned properly. The second is
despite my best efforts and countless hours, it has proven impossible to get
things such that the NMR sample is transported nice and vertical on BOTH the
trip to the magnet from the carousel and to the carousel from the magnet.
Currently, our tubes are being retrieved beautifully from the magnet bore
but not from the carousel. To eliminate a couple of possibilities for you,
I should mention that our main column up the front of the magnet is vertical
in both directions and the B-ACS cabinet is horizontally level. Also, the
problem is not related to the pinchers grabbing part of the NMR tube cap.

I would love to hear from those of you who have experience trying to align a
B-ACS sample changer and hear any alignment tips you might have. If you've
developed a systematic approach, I hope you might be willing to share. I
also have a couple of specific questions:

(a) The B-ACS manual states that the vertical cylinder horizontal and
vertical adjustments are factory set and normally do not need any
adjustment. Have you had to modify these factory settings on your
installation?

(b) Under ICON-NMR control, the horizontal motion of the robot between
carousel and magnet is very smooth. However, when manually controlling the
motion, the initial horizontal movement is very abrupt, often causing a
torque on the tube which takes it away from vertical. Does anyone know of a
setting/adjustment to smooth out this motion when under manual control?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

P.S. I will of course post a summary if interest warrants.

----------
Michael D. Lumsden, Ph.D.
NMR Facility Coordinator
Room 428, Atlantic Region Magnetic Resonance Centre
Department of Chemistry, Dalhousie University
6274 Coburg Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
B3H 4J3

phone: 902-494-1635