Re: vt shim cooling

From: Rainer Wechselberger (wechselberger@nmr.chem.uu.nl)
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 00:57:35 PDT

Dear All,

I just wonder... When we are talking about "long vt experiments very far
from rt" what does that mean?
I did contact Bruker in Switzerland about five years ago (they make the
probes, I guess) and asked for safe numbers regarding the vt temperature for
an elongated period of time ("hours to days"). I received the following
specs (for a new probe):

1. 5mm 500 to 750MHz TXI and QXI probes with XYZ-gradients: 223K to 353K

2. 5mm 500MHz TXI and QXI with z-gradients: 123K to 453K

3. 5mm 600 to 750MHz TXI and QXI with z-gradients: 123K to 423K.

BUT NOW COMES THE CATCH: The temperature of the shim-coil is at no time
supposed to exceed 353K !!! Here, the optional shim-system cooling accessory
comes into play.

In addition be aware that the O-rings of the magnet-dewar never must be
cooled below 263K! There also seem to be *heater* elements which can
optionally be mounted on the shim systems. A last warning about LOW
temperatures: Watch out for condensation (and ice-forming). A dry gas flow
can help to prevent this.

(Source: Andrew Cadman, Bruker CH, Jan 27, 2003)

Hope that helps one or the other out there...

Best wishes,

Rainer

Dr. Rainer Wechselberger
Supervisor EU-NMR Facility

Bijvoet Center for Biomolecular Research
Utrecht University
The Netherlands

www: www.lsf.chem.uu.nl
phone: 0031 (0)30 253 3295