Clean TopSpin Installation for Spectrometer Host.

From: Bruker Users Mail <bruker-users-mail@chemistry.mcmaster.ca>
Date: Sun Aug 16 2009 - 15:37:18 EDT
Hello fellow BUMmers.

Has anyone out there ever performed a "clean" installation of TopSpin on a
brand new computer workstation that will serve as a spectrometer host?

Here is a bit of background to my query.

I have on many occasions succeeded in installing TopSpin (and XWinNMR) on
various different computers as datastations.  But when it comes to the
spectrometer workstation, we have always relied upon an install from an
IMAGE provided by Bruker.

Installing from an image works well so long as the new host computer is
identical to the computer from which came the image.

We have recently purchased license upgrades from XWinNMR to TopSpin.
Because the old XWinNMR workstations were running an old version of Linux,
we decided to purchase new computers with RedHat WS4 to serve as the new
spectrometer hosts.  While we requested HP XW4600 workstations, our
illustrious purchasing department got us a better deal on the new HP
XW6600 workstations.  So, now the images from Bruker cannot work on
our new and fancy workstations.

I have looked through the TopSpin Installation Guide for Linux systems,
and it seems to be straight-forward.  If any of you have had first-hand
experience with installing TopSpin on a spectrometer workstation, I'd like
to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.
Bob.