Workstations

From: Keith Brown (brownk@chem4823.usask.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 11:27:26 PDT

  I'm wondering what kinds of workstations folks are using these days with
their spectrometers. Are you using SGI's under IRIX or PC's running NT? If
you're using a mixture of the two how well do they complement each other
and how do they communicate (if they communicate) with each other? Is
there a Linux version of Xwinnmr available yet? I've heard disturbing
rumors about the possible demise of SGI and wouldn't particularly want to
be stuck without support but on the other hand ... I'm a unix kind of
person.

  I recall a vote being taken a year or so ago on www.nmr.de concerning
unix verus NT and the overwhelming response was unix. Is this still the
prevailing opinion?

  Oh yes, now that I think of it, one more question. Is the Bruker file
structure under NT the same as under IRIX? That is,
"filename/expno/procno" so that data generated on one system can be put
onto another.

Keith Brown
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan