Mouse for X32 Computer

From: Keith Brown (brownk@chem4823.usask.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 08:16:25 PDT

  Our 3-button mouse for our AMX spectrometer is dying a slow death. I've
thought about simply replacing it with another 3-button serial mouse that
one might find on an older PC. This turns out, however, to be not as
simple as it seems. Firstly, the serial port 9-pin connector on the X32
computer is female and the serial connector on the standard serial mouse
is also female (yes, I'm aware of the numerous jokes that could be
inserted here). Using a gender changer solves that problem but the mouses
that I've tried don't seem to work. UXNMR either refuses to recognize the
mouse or the cursor jumps all over the screen. So ...

  Has anyone ever *successfully* hooked up a standard 3-button PC mouse to
an X32 computer so that UXNMR runs ok?

Keith Brown
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

It is impossible to travel faster than light, and certainly not
desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off.
                -- Woody Allen