Re: Mouse for X32 Computer

From: Keith Brown (brownk@chem4823.usask.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 15:16:39 PDT

> Our 3-button mouse for our AMX spectrometer is dying a slow death. I've
> thought about simply replacing it with another 3-button serial mouse that
> one might find on an older PC. This turns out, however, to be not as
> simple as it seems. Firstly, the serial port 9-pin connector on the X32
> computer is female and the serial connector on the standard serial mouse
> is also female (yes, I'm aware of the numerous jokes that could be
> inserted here). Using a gender changer solves that problem but the mouses
> that I've tried don't seem to work. UXNMR either refuses to recognize the
> mouse or the cursor jumps all over the screen. So ...
>
> Has anyone ever *successfully* hooked up a standard 3-button PC mouse to
> an X32 computer so that UXNMR runs ok?

  To follow up on my question of several months ago, I have finally found
a replacement mouse that works well with our X-32 computer. It is a
Logitech M-CAA43, three-button model which is a PS2 mouse but with a
PS2-to-serial converter and a gender changer it functions pretty well.

  Hope this information is helpful to anyone who might be going through
the same process as I have just been through.

Keith Brown
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

" I changed my headlights the other day. I put in strobe lights
instead! Now when I drive at night, it looks like everyone else is
standing still ..."