Re: Laser plotter/printers and writable CD's for AMX (X32).

Bill Gurley (gurley@novell.chem.utk.edu)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:03:38 -0400

On 29 Jul 98, at 12:07, Brian Killday wrote:

> Our HPLJ3P is now on the
> fritz in that it is not grabbing the paper from the feeder on a regular
> basis and frequently gives a paper jam error. I am told that this is a
> common problem of this printer model. Is there an easy fix for this such
> as replacing rollers, etc.?

I'm not really familiar with the 3P, but this is a common problem
with Laserjet II, 3, and 4. The roller that pulls the paper into the
printer from the paper tray is referred to as the "D roller",
because of its shape (flat on one side). It's important for that
roller to be "tacky" so that it can successfully pull the paper
through. But, after a long period of time, paper dust accumulates
and the D roller becomes slick, rather than tacky. The solution
that I was taught is to apply toluene with KimWipes to the rubber
D roller. Be careful not to get the toluene on the plastic parts.
The toluene will get rid of the outer layer of rubber, thus
"rejuvenating" the surface of the rubber so that it is tacky again.

(Before attempting this, turn the printer off and examine the paper
path and figure out a way to get you fingers in there.)

In a pinch, if you can't locate any toluene, you can use ordinary
liquid handsoap. Rub it on liberally, then wipe it off. It works, but
does not last as long as the toluene treatment.

I hope this helps!

-Bill-

Bill Gurley, Supervisor of Technical Services bgurley@utk.edu
Department of Chemistry, University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN 37996-1600 phone 423-974-3145