Re: Date problems on XWIN-NMR 1.3

From: Andrew Gibbs (andrew.gibbs@bruker.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 04:13:38 PST

> this may be the first reported Y2K problem on this list. Since January we
> are not getting the correct date anymore on paper printouts from our
> spectra. The respective line reads "DATE_ 500000" every day. In contrast,
> all directory and file dates for new spectra are correct.
>
> We are running XWIN-NMR 1.3 (patchlevel 8) on an SGI Indy under IRIX 5.3
> with all recommended patches + the handful of recommended Y2K patches
> installed (according to SGI WWW site and their Y2K audit program).
> Patchlevel 9 for XWIN-NMR 1.3 does not seem to have a fix for our problem
> according to the Bruker summary of bug fixes.
>
> Is this a Y2K problem? Has anybody seen it and can offer a solution short of
> upgrading to XWIN-NMR 2.6 (we like 1.3!!)? Thanks for your help, a summary
> will be posted.

This problem occurs because the allowed range for the date output has
been set to 6 digits (e.g. 991201). After 1999 the internal date
function in xwinnmr 1.3 will generate dates such as 1000114 which apart
from being the year '100' is now too long to display!

One solution is to upgrade to XWINNMR 2.x - xwinnmr 1.3 is not supposed
to be y2k!

Alternatively, to fix the problem you need to edit the format files in
/u/exp/stan/nmr/form/acqu.l, these are normpl (for plotting), normdp
(for display), and normlp (for printing). Near the top of each file you
should see an entry for Date_ something like:

T_NAME Date_
                TYPE R64
                CLASS ACQU
                SUBRANGE 0.0 500000
                REL "Date_=itodate(DATE)"
                INV_REL "DATE=datetoi(Date_,DATE)"
                FORMAT "%14.0f"
                TEXT " "
END

You need to change the subrange line to be

                SUBRANGE 0.0 50000000

i.e. 50 million rather than 500000. After making this change you may
like to check if your dates now appear as 1000114 - if you see 20000114
then you have finished!

If you get the year as 100 change the REL line to be

                REL "Date_=itodate(DATE)+19000000"

This should then produce the correct output.

Another related problem arises if someone has in the past generated
their own format file (e.g. to remove unwanted parameters from plot
output). If the file was generated using a 1.x format file then the
range will be wrong, even though new software may have been loaded (this
will only update the Bruker defaults as above!) In this case you should
ideally regenerate your format file using the new Bruker default as a
starting point, but just changing the SUBRANGE to 50000000 as above is
probably the only change that is actually required.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Andrew Gibbs

--
 Coventry telephone numbers will change in April 2000.
 The new number (which can be used now) is shown below. The