Re: Bruker 2DWINNMR Me too! ; WINDOW or UNIX

From: Kirk Marat (kirk_marat@umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 12:44:56 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Yiu-Fai Lam <YL2@umail.umd.edu>
To: bruker-users-mail@purcell.cchem.berkeley.edu
<bruker-users-mail@purcell.cchem.berkeley.edu>
Date: Friday, May 12, 2000 1:42 PM
Subject: Bruker 2DWINNMR ; WINDOW or UNIX

>Dear All:
>
>I would like to get your feedback on two issues:
>
>A. PC or UNIX:
> We are at the point to decide should we switch to PC from SGI
>for the workstations on the Bruker spectrometer.
> We have four systems running on SGI and the advantage to me is
>in the software administration. But , SGI hardware are relatively
>expensive to maintain.
> Could you share with me your experience on NT-PC based
>workstation.

We have an SGI controlling the spectrometer, and an NT box running
XwinNMR as a data station. I still like the SGI implementation a little
better (Although the NT version isn't bad). The whole implementation on
the UNIX box just seems a bit neater, and UNIX (even IRIX :-) ) is still
a bit more reliable than NT. For some strange reason, the NT verion is also
restricted to 256 colours. Compared to the price of the spectrometer, the
price difference between SGI and and decent NT box isn't all that great.

>B- Bruker PC 2dSoftware:
>
>We recently acquired 1D and 2D WINNMR from Bruker and have problem to
>process data.
>We followed the network installation instruction and using Novel Server
>to keep the license key.
>I have tried them on WIN98, WIN2000 . All platforms have the the same
>problem:--
>The 1D portion works nicely but the 2D portion just cannot process data
>from XWINNMR.
>When I try to do xfb, I get the error message
>" you most likely have no write access to this drive" and 2d data (ser
>file) just sit there untouched.
>Would appreciate anyone kind enough to share their experience

I have the same problem. This is with Win NT 4, using a Wibu key
and a local drive (absolutely no Novell!) I have the same problem.
It tells me that I probably have no write permission on the drive while I
certainly
DO have write permission on the drive. Previously processed data
(from XwinNMR) will display O.K.

Cheers
-Kirk

Kirk Marat, Ph.D., NMR Facility Manager
Dept. of Chemistry and Prairie Regional NMR Centre
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T 2N2, CANADA
kirk_marat@umanitoba.ca
ph. (204) 474-6259, FAX (204) 474-7608