Re: Bruker 2DWINNMR ; WINDOW or UNIX

From: Charles G. Fry (fry@chem.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 14:33:23 PDT

At 02:28 PM 5/12/00 -0400, Yiu-Fai Lam wrote:
>Dear All:
>
>I would like to get your feedback on two issues:
>
>A. PC or UNIX:
> We are at the point to decide should we switch to PC from SGI
>for the workstations on the Bruker spectrometer.
> We have four systems running on SGI and the advantage to me is
>in the software administration. But , SGI hardware are relatively
>expensive to maintain.
> Could you share with me your experience on NT-PC based
>workstation.

We also have an SGI controlling the spectrometer, and PC for data
work-up. I prefer the SGI for the same reasons as Kirk; the PC is ok.
The NT box can only be used by a single person, however, that walks to
that PC (perhaps can be distributed depending on the license). The
SGI can be accessed remotely, which is a real boon for working on
various projects from home or office.

It is a bother, however, to pay SGI's very high premium. A Linux
(or Solaris--Bruker Mass Spec is all Solaris) version would definitely
be a positive.

Cheers,
Charlie

Charles G. Fry, Ph.D. Tel: (608)262-3182
Director, MR Facility Fax: (608)262-0381
Chem. Dept., Univ. Wisconsin
Madison, WI 53706 USA email: fry@chem.wisc.edu