Poor performance from XWin-NMR 2.6

From: Alan Boyd (a.s.f.boyd@hw.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 04:00:54 PDT

Dear Bruker Users,

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had the same awkward
behaviour from XWin-NMR v2.6 as we have. Some were just silly annoyances,
but one was a major irritation, and has led to us returning to v2.5.

The first problem was that the list of recent data sets collected
duplicate entries. Every time you connect to a data set, a new entry is
placed in this list. If you then connect to another dataset, an entry for
this is also placed in the list. However, if you go back to the one you
started with, a _second_ entry for this is added to the list. If you were
repeatedly switching between a few data sets, as you might, the list
grows very long and contains an entry for _every_time_ you connected to
every data set! This was a complete mess, but you could live with it. I
guesss you could also live with the appalling colours that decorated the
'edte' control panel, and the fact that 2D contour plots no longer
remembered your favourite colour scheme, but insisted on using one you
didn't want.

However, the killer as far as we were concerned, was the program's
reluctance to redraw the data (spectra or FID) after any processing
action carried out by a user macro or AU program. This is _really_
irritating! We do most of the routine accumulation and processing with
our own macros and AU programs, and we were 'flying blind' a lot of the
time. There was also an increased frequency of graphics system crashes -
three or four times a day on average. I could not find a reliable
workaround for this problem. To make matters worse, sometimes it would go
away by itself, and you could work on a data set normally. Rarely it
would not happen at all. I could not find any consistent pattern for this
problem.

We installed patch level 5 for v2.6, and installed SGI patch 3239, both
as recommended by Bruker. No change. They, of course, could not replicate
the problem, so it was all guesswork and wishful thinking really. I would
like to thank Bruker in Coventry for their patience in helping me to
re-install v2.5, by the way.

We run a DPX400 off an O2 with IRIX 6.3, 128Mb, 4Gb disk. I haven't put
in IRIX 6.5 because no-one can tell me how much it costs. (So that's
probably the trouble then...)

Anyone else seen this?

Anyone got a fix?

Alan

 Dr A.S.F.Boyd Chemistry Department
 NMR Spectroscopist Heriot-Watt University
 phone: +44-131-451 3214 Riccarton
   fax: +44-131-451 3180 Edinburgh
 email: a.s.f.boyd@hw.ac.uk EH14 4AS
  http://dava.che.hw.ac.uk/ Scotland