SGI-CPU/4 no communication

From: rmair@cfa.harvard.edu
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 18:48:29 PDT

Greetings once again folks from this happy place.

Update - fully working AMX2 console moved from 400MHz spectroscopy magnet to
4.7T horizontal magnet = computer disaster.

We ditched the AspectStation - which may have been a mistake as it would at
least talk to spect, and run rf-pulse-only expts. We now have an SGI O2 as
host computer. It has been freshly installed with IRIX 6.5 and XWIN-NMR2.6,
which the folks at Bruker assured me were compatible with the older AMX
hardware.

After an entire day trying this, we still cannot make a *permanent* connection
to spect. It has been possible twice, for 5 mins each - once thru each of
the two ethernet ports on the SGI. (See below). So, this needs to be borne
in mind when I say we can almost never connect to spect.

Or, more to the point, spect cannot make a connection to the 2nd ethernet
port of the SGI, therefore cannot boot up its diskless unix, therefore we
can't telnet/ping it.

I have swapped the IP nos on the two ethernet ports ad infinitum. Which ever
port is labelled 'primary' and is assigned the local lab IP no, works fine.
I can always telnet elsewhere on the local net. But the spect connection
fails. I have plugged the local-lab-net cable into the ASP_ST2, and been
able to telnet succesfully from elsewhere in the lab, but am asked for a
login, and it wont accept any of the installed login/password on the system.
This makes me wonder if spect tries to log in the ASP_ST2, and is locked
out.

The cables between SGI and spect have been swapped out, placed between the
SGI and other computers, and seen to work. Likewise, the hubs and
transceivers have been swapped over.

I've been thru section 7 of the installation guide (what to do when telnet
spect doesn't work) a couple of times, to no success. the serial cable is
connected from tty0 of the CPU/4 and tty2 of the SGI.... it constantly gives
me this output:

Autoboot: Waiting to load bfs()/usr/diskless/clients/spect/root/unix (CTRL-C
to abort)
No server for /usr/diskless/clients/spect/root/unix

EXCEPTION: <vector=NORMAL>
Exception pc: 0x0
Cause register: 0x30004828<CE=3,IP7,IP4,EXC=II>
Status register: 0x80000<CM,IPL=8>

BRUKER Aspect X32/4 Monitor
Version 5.40 MIPS OPT Tue Nov 24 11:26:17 MSZ 1992 root
Memory size: 16777216 (0x1000000) bytes, 16 MB
Icache size: 65536 (0x10000) bytes
Dcache size: 65536 (0x10000) bytes

At this stage, it is tempting to get the AspectStation out again!!
Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

--
Ross Mair
Staff Scientist                             Office Phone:     (617) 495 7218