XDMCP

From: Zhe (Frank) Zhou (zzhou1@lsu.edu)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 06:40:16 PDT

Hi All,

We have tcp_wrappers on all our SGI O2s. A faculty told me yesterday that he could get into our SGI O2s through Exceed (Hummingbird) although his IP address is not in
our hosts.allow file. After doing a little bit of research, I understand he used X Display Manager Control Protocol (XDMCP).

On Unix systems, the XDMCP service is usually provided by the xdm daemon, which runs continuously. Since it often also provides a login service to the X server
running on the same machine, disabling xdm entirely may not be a good idea. xdm's provision of display management to the world is controlled by the Xaccess file, it
is in /var/X11/xdm.

You need to comment the following two lines out:

(1) any host can get a login window
(2) CHOOSER BROADCAST

By doing these, users whose IP addresses are in the hosts.allow file can still access SGI O2 through Exceed.

Good luck.

Frank

--
 Zhe (Frank) Zhou, Ph.D.