Re: Linux NMRSuite "hanging process"

From: Sandip K. Sur (sur@chem.rochester.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 09:55:07 PST

Chuck,

This is a very common problem with Xwinnmr / unix combination. Xwinnmr
cannot always kill the previous unix process associated with 'GO' (data
acquisition) after the last user types Exit. I tell the users to make sure
the pulse lights stops flashing after they typed halt and then type
exit. If the pulse lights are flashing after halt command, then kill the
active process from the pulldown menu and then type exit. If the last
user do not type halt and exit xwinnmr, the 'GO' process will hang up. rga
or zg commands will not work for the next user.

You can also create a macro that includes 'halt' and 'exit' commands and
ask every user to use it instead of only 'exit' to exit xwinnmr.

When that happens, I find the processes in an unix window using

ps -elf | grep go

and start killing the processes from the top using

kill -9 process number

Hope this helps,

Sandip

At 08:03 AM 11/7/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>I have recently converted 4 spectrometers to NMRSuite 3.1 (Linux). One
>of the machines especially is having a problem where is doesn't allow
>the next user to start Xwinnmr because it says the license is exhausted.
>I think the problem is processes that remain active when a previous user
>logs out. This has happened with Xwinplot also. It is very annoying
>because the next user can't kill the process without being root. Does
>anyone know what causes this and/or have a solution?
>

>Thanks, Chuck
>--
>

>D. Chuck Dunbar, Ph.D.
>Associate Research Scientist
>Thad Cochran Research Center
>National Center for Natural Products Research
>University, MS 38677
>

>Office (662)915-1025
>Lab (662)915-1021
>Fax (662)915-7989