Phase Instability

From: by way of BUM (jsderopp@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 14:43:39 PST

Dear BUMs,
We have a phase instability problem on our DRX-600. We first noticed this
as a problem in 2D NOESY spectra. Subsequently we were able to determine
that the phase of a peak in a simple 1D proton spectrum of a standard
sample changed anywhere from 5 to 15 degrees or more overnight. For
comparison, on our DRX-500 the phase variation over 15 hours is much less
than a degree, which is what you would expect. The phase change seems
random in that it may drift one way and then reverse itself and move back.

Bruker originally attributed the problem to room temperature variation but
since the temperature in this room only varies +-0.5C (I track it 24/7)
this does not seem a likely source of the problem. We have swapped out the
frequency synthesizer, RX22, and proton amplifier without solving the
problem. The problem doesn't seem probe dependent as we had it before and
after the recent installation of a cryoprobe on the 600.

Any ideas on what this problem could be due to or suggestions on tests to
run would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff de Ropp