"Powchk" question

From: Mike Lumsden (mike.lumsden@dal.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 10:31:04 PDT

Hi Everyone,

We are running xwin 3.5, pl6 on an AVANCE 500 here but have not been
able to make much use of the "powchk" feature. This is because we run
most of the time with a BBO probe equipped with ATM using a CASE sample
changer and ICON-NMR. Having the ATM feature means that the inorganic
groups here can use the sample changer and still run nuclei like tin,
boron, and lead under automation. This capability is wonderful but it
means I've had to leave powchk off since the amp is not cortab'd at
these 3 frequencies and as well there are no peak power limitations
specified for these nuclei in the probe parameter file accessible from
edhead.

I believe I can trick the powchk feature from the cortab point of view
by simply copying and renaming an exisiting file in the /cortab
directory appropriately and in fact we had to do this to get 2H
gradshimming to work (with powchk on) since we gradshim using a 2H-TX 20
Watt amp which obviously wasn't cortab'd. What I haven't figured out
yet is how to specify peak power limits yet in the probe parameter file.
When I open the peak power table, there are entries for 8 nuclei and
none of them can be edited (they are greyed). Presumably these are
hardcoded on the "pics" chip? This is a shame since the table includes
O-17 and Rb-87 which we don't do and N14, which we can't even tune to.
There are two blank entries which I can fill in but I need more!! I
have looked at the .par file in /conf/instr/probeheads but have not
figured out how to accomplish what I want.

I am hoping somebody has come across this problem before and found a
solution. I either need to be able to make the greyed out entries
editable or be able to add more than two additional entries to this
table.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!
Mike

Michael D. Lumsden, Ph.D.
NMR Facility Manager
Atlantic Region Magnetic Resonance Centre
Room 428, Department of Chemistry, Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3H 4J3

phone:(902)494-1635
FAX: (902)494-1310
email: mike.lumsden@dal.ca