Signal to noise ratio and receiver gain

From: Muhammad Sabieh Anwar (sabieh@waugh.cchem.berkeley.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 10:32:08 PDT

Hi I recently joined the list. My name is Sabieh Anwar and I am a post-doc
in University of California, Berkeley. I am using two spectrometers, a
Bruker Avance DRX 300 MHz and a Bruker Avance 700 MHz.

I am observing a strange phenomenon: I was under the impression that
changing the receiver gaiin (rg) should have no bearing on the signal to
noise ratio (sino). However, on my 300 machien I can see the sino changing
with rg, lower gain implying lower sino. Can there be a good reason behind
this? Help will be appreciated, as always,

Regards

Sabieh