Network Printing and Plotting on SGI

From: Bob Berno (bberno@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2006 - 11:37:37 PDT

Hello folks,

We have just recently replaced two old, ailing printers with a new
network printer. We had no trouble configuring TOPSPIN to print to the
network printer, but we have run into terrible difficulty getting an
older system to speak to it.

The configuration of the problem system:
SGI IRIX 6.5
XWinNMR 3.0

We have followed the "Network Printing" guide that I downloaded from the
Bruker FTP site.
We can print postscript and ASCII files to the network printer using the
"lp" command from within a UNIX shell.
And we can print using XWINPLOT.

However we cannot print from within xwinnmr. We went through the cfpp
routine to remove the old printer and to install the network printer.
We went into "edo" and made sure that both the printer and plotter
entries were pointing to the newly installed network printer. We
checked "setres" to make sure that the plotter entry was left blank.
When that didn't work, we went back into "setres" and explicitly wrote
in the new network printer name. Still nothing.

Now, when we use the "plot" command in XWinNMR, we see a message saying
that a new plot process has been generated, but nothing ever is
printed. "lpstat" does not show any outstanding print processes. The
printouts just simply vanish into the ether.

What is even more troubling, when we tried to reconfigure the old
parallel port printer, that no longer works either.

Can anyone provide any advice/insight into this issue? Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob.

--