UPDATE: Network Printing and Plotting on SGI

From: Bob Berno (bberno@mcmaster.ca)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 08:46:14 PDT

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share a brief update on our progress with resolving the
network printing issues on one of our SGI workstations (cosy).

Firstly, I want to thank everyone who submitted suggestions.
We have tried to implement many of these on the system in question, but
have not had any success is getting the network printer to work with
XWinNMR.

We have the good fortune here to have a number of similar SGI boxes, so
my resident computer guy has installed a XWINNMR on another SGI host
(opus) system. He was able to run XWINNMR using one of our floating
licenses and accessed the network printer without any problems
whatsoever. We are now checking into what is different about opus (the
SGI where XWINNMR works with the network printer) and cosy (the
spectrometer workstation where XWINNMR does not work the network printer).

So far, we have noticed that the opus workstation has a slightly more
up-to-date version of IRIX (I don't have the specifics here at the
moment). Also, opus has a version of the "Impresario" software
installed. We are in the process of testing if either of these
differences is the root cause of the network printing problems within
XWINNMR.

Finally, we have resurrected one of our old spectrometer workstations
(oldroesy). This workstation is "identical" to cosy, and we are now
testing its network printing abilities within XWINNMR.
I will keep you posted.

Thanks again to everyone who submitted tips/advice/suggestions.

Cheers,
Bob.

--
Dr. Bob Berno