Bruker Users Mail: Summary for PC-CCU communication problem

From: Jeff de Ropp (jsderopp@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 10:39:02 PDT

Dear BUMmers,
Recently I posted a query on a Bruker PC-CCU communcations problem. Here
is a an abbreviated description of the problem:
We have had a recurrent problem for more than two months on our Bruker
Avance solids NMR spectrometer. The PC (Windows XP, SP 2) host and the CCU
lose communication and we cannot run the spectrometer. We re-installed
diskless several times, replaced the CCU board multiple times, checked all
voltages and fans, checked all cables and physical connections, checked
firewall and internet settings, did multiple reboots of PC and CCU.

I got several replies suggesting various things but the one that
immediately worked was disconnecting the ethernet connection to the
"universe" and only leaving in place the ethernet connection to
spect. This enables us to get data, but if we connect the "universe"
ethernet cable we almost immediately lose connection to spect.
Two people suggested changing the second (spectrometer) ethernet card to
100Mbit half-duplex instead of automatic, but this did not help.

Any ideas on how to fix this? We would like to be on the Net to move data
around.
One last note: two other spectrometers that are still on Windows 2000 do
not show this problem and are happily connected to the universe through one
card and to spect through the 2nd ethernet card.
Jeff

Jeffrey S. de Ropp, Ph.D.
NMR Facility
UC Davis