XwinNMR and new HP network printers - follow up

From: Phil Dennison (dennison@uci.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 19:08:26 PDT

Dear all,

I've done a little more research and found this ominous section in
the specs of the HP LJ2600n: "Print languages, std: Host-based (uses
the processing power and resources of your computer to process the
print job. No PCL or PostScript)". Somewhat buried on the HP site,
but may explain why the printer is so cheap.

This probably also explains why it won't work. But the HPLJ4100 does
seem to include PCL and PostScript support, and that gave me similar
problems. I didn't persevere with that as the lab in question also
had a 2420n which worked straightaway.

So perhaps the question should now be how do we find a new printer
that will work with Irix/XwinNMR, or indeed Linux/TopSpin? HP seem to
ignore Linux in their printer descriptions, despite them selling
Redhat workstations.

Thanks again for any assistance,

Phil.

--
Dr Phil Dennison
NMR Facility Director			(949)824-6010 (office)