Re: How to properly transfer user settings of Topspin 1.3 onto a new computer? (fwd)

From: Markus Hoffmann <mhoffman@brockport.edu>
Date: Mon Jan 25 2010 - 17:30:45 EST
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the many helpful comments and suggestions. Besides the responses that were sent concurrently to BUM, below is the reply I received from Michael Engelhardt at Bruker. This should generally be helpful information.

However, our particular problem turned out not to be related to permission settings.
Our old and new workstations have Windows NT operating system. When we copied the conf and exp folders from old to new workstation, we used an in house secured depository ("Filecity" that can be used by anyone who has a Brockport account. This depository is linux-based and in the transition of transferring the folders to and from the depository, some files were changed. The particular files that were changed all seem to have a name construction of ".filename" such as ".ListOfFiles" for example. We realized this when we noticed that these type of files were grayed out after they were copied.  We then used a built-in backup utility to make a backup of the conf and exp directories on the old workstation, copied the bkf file to the new workstation, ran a restore on the new workstation.  This method seems to have worked around our issue, as Topspin is no longer complaining about any of those files.

Thanks again for all helpful comments,

Markus

"your approach is almost correct. You may copy over an existing conf and exp to a new computer. But then you must install TopSpin1.3 (for example) once more on top to straighten out the user permissions and to replace any old Bruker files with the new ones.

A better approach is to first run the nmr_save script on the old version (computer), copy the resulting archive to the new computer,  and then run nmr_save with the restore option to import the configuration into the new TopSpin version.

This works most comfortably with TopSpin2.1, but it will also work with TopSpin1.3. From what I read in your description my first suggestion (install TopSpin once more on top) is maybe the quickest way to get you going.

Best wishes, Mike !

Bitte die neue Telefonnummer beachten - Please note the new phone number

Bruker BioSpin GmbH

Dr. Michael Engelhardt