Re: XWin-Plot versus "plot"

From: Sandip K. Sur (sur@chem.rochester.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 10:43:59 PST

Hi Jim,

I disagree with Mike Engelhardt and agree with your view about xwinplot
for routine nmr measurements. Xwinplot is a nice and easy program for
those who want a good publication quality plot and are willing to spend a
little more time than the plot command in xwinnmr. But it lacks the
straightforward approach for optimizing the plot features so that the extra
time needed to fire up xwinplot and draw and expand the spectrum is not
worth the time for routine spectral measurements. An 'optimized plot
parameter file' and 'click on dp1' is what most routine users need in
xwinnmr.
A similar approach with a good large edit window with visual horizontal and
vertical expansion commands (like dp1 button and cy command) may work well
with xwinplot. Most of our routine users want to measure spectra, take a
quick look at their spectra and plot out to examine their spectra in the
lab without spending any more time on the spectrometer.

Sandip

At 08:54 AM 11/18/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear XWin-NMR users,
>
>at the recent UK Bruker Users' Meeting, it became clear that quite a lot of
>users did NOT consider XWin-Plot, in its present form at least, to be a
>full and satisfactory replacement for the older "plot" function in
XWin-NMR.

>Mike Engelhardt said that he could not understand this. He felt that
>XWin-Plot provided all the functionality of "plot" and more and that the
>"plot" function was no longer needed. He asked for users to report their
>problems with XWin-Plot, so that he could sort them out.
>

>I have, so far, suggested to him that:
>
>There is no proper "help" routine. The "help" links simply jump you into
>the .pdf manual and that manual is out of date and (seriously) lacks
detail.

>Layout parameters can only be modified by poking around among the twigs of
>the edit trees, without direct keyboard entry.
>
>AUTOPLOT and "xwp", while they offer some useful functionality, are
>insufficiently flexible. (Horizontal and Vertical scaling operations,
>projections etc.)
>

>As Bruker are not implementing "plot" in the Linux version of XWin-NMR and
>do not intend to include it in future versions of the Windows version, we
>need an XWin-Plot that is easier to learn and simpler to use. Please put
>your observations on BUM, with copies to Mike Engelhardt.
>

>Jim Bloxsidge.

>J P Bloxsidge Email: j.bloxsidge@surrey.ac.uk
>Chemistry (C4),
>University of Surrey Tel: +44-(0)1483-686852
>GUILDFORD
>Surrey GU2 7XH Fax: +44-(0)1483-686851
>UK

Peace